We posted how-to articles weekly throughout the year, and these garnered the most traffic among readers.
Welcome to the first part of the 2008 Year End Review for the Power Management DesignLine. The web offers us the ability to track article popularity in terms of reader traffic, and for that matter many other bits of information such how those viewers get to our site.
Each of our DesignLine sites are compiling a list of top article for the year. This week we present the articles ranked 11 through 20. Next week we will present the top 10. I think these lists are important for several reasons. First, congratulation to authors that made the list and thanks for your contributions. Second, we'll note recurring popular themes as we solicit articles in 2009. And lastly, you might take another look at the articles your peers found most compelling. I've added a brief note about each of the selections.
11. Using quasi-resonant and resonant converters --AC-DC supplies must deliver efficiency across the load spectrum for products to meet low-power guidelines. Understanding resonant converters is one key to efficiency.
12. Switch-Mode Power Supplies---SPICE Simulations and Practical Designs -- A book excerpt, this articles describes how to use SPICE to model the feedback loop for switching power supplies.
13. Robust controller design using multi-objective optimization -- Stringent transient response characteristics are top of mind in many DC-DC converter designs, and this article describes how to meet that demand while optimizing other parts of the power system.
14. Calculating power consumption in high-speed systems -- System-level power consumption isn't as simple as a sum of the components in a design, and this articles explains how to account for factors such as operating frequency and I/O loading.
15. A matter of light, Part 2--- Buck whenever possible -- High-brightness LEDs in applications from street lamps to in-home lighting has been a recurring hot topic on the Power Management DesignLine. This is one part of a four part series and three of the four parts are represented in the 2008 top 20.
16. Power Tip #3: Damping the input filter --- Part 1 -- One of a monthly recurring series of power tips, this article describes how to minimize oscillation issues caused by the input filter of a switching power supply.
17. Two-switch topology boosts forward, flyback designs-- An additional MOSFET switch on the high side of a flyback power converter reduces electrical stresses and improves efficiency.
18. How to design a Li-Ion battery charger to get maximum power from a solar panel -- Solar cells will find use in more and more products as a way to charge a batter in for example a mobile phone. But you must match the charging system requirements and solar cell characteristics.
19. Pump and dump -- delivering more power than you thought possible! -- Everyone likes to get a bargain and engineers that really understand their application can coax more power out of an input than appears feasible for temporary peak supply.
20. Tip of the Week: Single-stage synchronous buck converter with high efficiency -- A single-stage power converter can deliver high efficiency by turning to a synchronous design and using a MOSFET in place of a catch diode.