Welcome to the second part of the 2008 Year End Review for the Power Management DesignLine. The web offers us the ability to track article popularity in terms of reader traffic, and for that matter many other bits of information such how those viewers get to our site.
Each of our DesignLine sites are compiling a list of the top articles for the year. This week we present the articles ranked 1 through 10 that originated on the Power Management DesignLine. Last week we presented the second 10.
I think these lists are important for several reasons. First, congratulation to authors that made the list and thanks for your contributions. Second, we'll note recurring popular themes as we solicit articles in 2009. And lastly, you might take another look at the articles your peers found most compelling. I've added a brief note about each of the selections.
1. A matter of light, Part 4 --- PWM dimming -- High-brightness LEDs in applications from street lamps to in-home lighting has been a recurring hot topic on the Power Management DesignLine. This is one part of a four part series and three of the four parts are represented in the 2008 top 20.
2. Designing a stable DC/DC control loop -- This article offers a systematic approach to determining the poles and zeroes of an error amplifier and determining error amp gain.
3. Power Tip #2: Taming a noisy power supply -- One of a monthly recurring series of power tips, this article describes how to examine the layout of a design early on to eliminate noise in the error amplifier, reference, and ramp.
4. How supercapacitors solve LED flash power issues in high res camera phones -- Part 1 -- Mobile phone cameras have gained fidelity, but need a Flash to deliver quality pictures. The handset batter can't drive th Flash directly, but a charged supercapacitor can.
5. A matter of light, Part 1---The ABC's of LEDs -- High-brightness LEDs in applications from street lamps to in-home lighting has been a recurring hot topic on the Power Management DesignLine. This is one part of a four part series and three of the four parts are represented in the 2008 top 20.
6. 2007 Top 20 -- I almost eliminated the Top 20 summary article from 2007 from consideration for the 2008 list, but clearly this list links to some excellent articles from prior years.
7. Power Tip #6: Accurately Measuring Power Supply Ripple-- One of a monthly recurring series of power tips, this tip focuses on measurement and proper scope probing techniques that can discern actual ripple from other noise sources.
8. Power Tip #1: Picking the right operating frequency for your power supply -- One of a monthly recurring series of power tips, this first article in the series looked at the tradeoffs in frequency and size relative to specific power supply components.
9. How to boost DC/DC converter efficiency at higher frequencies -- Higher switching frequencies result in smaller supplies but efficiency is a challenge. This article explains how to boost efficiency with integrated MOSFETs.
10. Switch-Mode Power Supplies --- SPICE Simulations and Practical Designs, Part II -- A book excerpt, this article describes how to use SPICE to model the feedback loop for switching power supplies.