If you've been following these blogs on any semi-regular basis, you'll remember the difficulties I've been having trying to update my home 802.11b network to an 802.11g network. My current configuration consists of three PCs and a laptop equipped with 802.11b hardware, and a laptop with integrated 802.11g connectivity.
Because 802.11g is backward-compatible with 802.11b, there should be no issuesjust plug-and-play. Yeah right! When I cranked up the new network, one of the five systems could connect to it (the laptop with the 802.11b hardware). Even the g-enabled platform wouldn't work! I managed to get the g-enabled laptop to work by plugging in an 802.11g PC Card, designed by the same maker as the router. What a surprise that that one worked.
After far too many hours trying to get even one of the other systems connected, I went back to plain old 802.11b. It wasn't even the quest for higher speed that gnawed at me. It was the quest for a stronger signal, which what this particular MIMO-based router touted.
I decided that the only way to get all the computers connected to the network was to run two independent networks in the house, which is what I ended up with. Now, two of the platforms talk in g-language, while the other three speak only b-language. It's far from perfect, but it works.