Great fall weather and good grub aren't the really compelling reasons to visit ESC Boston this week. Mine is that I'll be lurking about scooping up new-products stories. But here are the top seven reasons you'll miss out if you don't.
1. Teardowns. These fan faves are back again in full force this year. Beat it on down to the show floor Tuesday to see.
MedApps HealthPal wireless transmitter (1 p.m. Tuesday). There will come a time when this seems less like science fiction. Oh wait! That time is now!
3. Vendor-topia. We’re obsessed with marketing ROI these days, but you know what? Serendipity still has its place. Wandering the floor of any trade show, whether it’s electronics or kitchen implements, brings with it its own surprises around every bend—surprises that are hard to plug into Outlook Calendar beforehand.
4. Hugh Herr, Tuesday keynoter: Herr heads the biomechanics research group at MIT. ‘Nuff said.
5. John East, Wednesday keynoter: East may pull out his legendary “how I learned what an angstrom really is” story, but even if he doesn't, he's one of the industry's best story-tellers.
6. The classes! This is where the rubber meets the road and it’s what keeps embedded systems designers passionate about what they do.
7. It’s back to the future in Boston. The Red Sox (3rd place) and Patriots (1-1) have tumbled back to earth, as have the expectation of Red Sox nation and Patriots nation. It’s almost like the 1980s again. The chowdah’s still fabulous, and the view (below) is still spectacular.