When it comes to DesignCon, there are several noteworthy points that occur in the planning cycle. One of those occurred recently with the publication of the DesignCon 2014 technical program. Now comes the hard part, deciding which technical sessions to attend.
You can plan your time at DesignCon 2014 using the online schedule builder. If you want to be a real trend setter, then download the DesignCon app. It's available for iOS and Android, and also in HTML format. With the app, you'll have your schedule to carry with you all the time.
Prior to last year, I focused entirely on test and measurement, but then I spent the better part of the last year as editor of DesignCon Community. (DCC will be followed in November 2013 by DesignCon Central under the EDN banner.) The past year opened my eyes to many other facets of DesignCon besides test and measurement: PCB materials and construction, interconnects, modeling, power integrity, and so on. Now that I'm back in the test game, I'll focus on the test-related sessions, plus the two panels I'll be moderating and an awards ceremony. Now, let's focus on Track 13, Apply Test and Measurement Methodology.
- Hands-On Tutorial for Fixture Removal of 28 Gbit/s Tx Measurements, Tuesday, January 28, at 9:00 a.m.
- Tips on Improving Test Time When Measuring High-Speed Digital Signals, Tuesday, January 28, at 1:30.
- Practical Techniques and Tips for Probing and De-Embedding, Wednesday, January 29, at 2:00 p.m.
- Strengths and Weaknesses of Various Calibration Techniques, Wednesday, January 29, at 2:50 p.m.
- Real-Time Jitter Measurement, Thursday, January 30, at 9:30 a.m.
- RX Jitter, Jitter Measurement, and Relation to Jitter Tolerance and Overall Link Performance, Thursday, January 30, at 2:50 p.m.
In addition to these and many other sessions, you must attend the two panel sessions that I'm moderating:
Closing the Loop: What Do We Do When Measurements and Simulations Don't Match? This one takes place Thursday, January 30, at 3:45 p.m. Come and listen to a panel of consultants, test experts, development engineers, and simulation people talk about how they resolve issues between simulations and measurements. Bring your questions and don't be shy.
Be sure to attend a session in the Chiphead Theater, EMI and SI Are Related: Get Used to It. We'll feature experts on both topics and how they deal with the relationships between signal integrity and electromagnetic interference. The session will take place on Thursday, January 30, at 2:00 p.m.
Do you recognize anyone from DesignCon 2013?
Last, but really first, also in the Chiphead Theater, will be EDN's Best-in-Test and Test Engineer of the Year
See you at DesignCon 2014.