Teardowns of smartphones were the most popular communications stories in 2013 in a year when mobile mania about Intel, Bluetooth, and LTE drove the most clicks.
Smartphone teardowns were the most read EE Times communications stories in 2013. Articles examining possible pivot points for Intel in mobile systems also ranked high in a year when Bluetooth Smart and LTE were among the other hot comms topics.
In July we changed the way we categorize our communications stories, effectively creating two top 10 lists. Six of those 20 stories were teardowns.
Your favorite by far was an examination of the Blackberry Z10, which attracted 96,000 page views. I'm guessing your enthusiasm was motivated by the fact this handset was supposed to mark a turnaround for Research in Motion.
I'm surprised one of the most watched smartphones of the year -- the Apple iPhone 5S -- got only 25,416 views. Still, that was enough to land it on top of one of the two lists.
Among the other top teardown stories in order of their popularity were articles on the HTC One, the fifth-generation Apple iPod Touch, the iPad Air, and the Xbox One.
A story about Intel beating Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Samsung in mobile processor performance came in second on one list and fourth on the other. It created something of a firestorm of controversy about mobile benchmarks.
I suspect the Intel story also attracted the attention of those wondering whether the world's biggest chipmaker was about to hit a significant pivot point in smartphones. That didn't happen in 2013; perhaps it will this year.
An analysis of the woes of Renesas Mobile landed on second place on one of our two lists. This story, it seems, actually did chronicle a pivot point for a mobile chip vendor, albeit an unhappy one. It came amid several top 20 stories on the ups and downs in mobile of both Renesas and ST-Ericsson.
Here are the two lists in full:
- Inside the BlackBerry Z10 96,297 views
- Intel processor outperforms Nvidia, Qualcomm 30,074 views
- Teardown: HTC One smartphone 27,651 views
- Teardown: 5th Gen Apple iPod Touch 26,410 views
- How does a GPS tracking system work? 21,558 views
- M2M is DEAD--Long Live IoT 11,609 views
- Slideshow: The road to 400G Ethernet 10,831 views
- Bluetooth 4.0: An introduction to Bluetooth Low Energy 10,295 views
- Tutorial on VLANs: Part 1 10,149 views
- Intel says no LTE-processor integration until 2014 10,140 views
Wireless and Networking Designline
- iPhone 5s Teardown, iFixit Style 25,416 views
- 5 Reasons Renesas Ditched Modem Business 23,966 views
- How does a GPS tracking system work? 22,939 views
- Intel processor outperforms Nvidia, Qualcomm 19,167 views
- Apple iPad Air Packs Faster A7 15,676 views
- Bluetooth 4.0: An introduction to Bluetooth Low Energy 15,001 views
- Slideshow: Inside M'soft Xbox One 14,653 views
- Startup Claims Bandwidth Breakthrough 14,159 views
- Qualcomm Opens DSP Core 11,588 views
- Jobs Remembered by Woz, Bushnell 11,432 views
Next page: Big year for Bluetooth Smart, LTE