Apple's iOS and Google's Android leave little more than a pittance for Windows and BlackBerry, according to new estimates from Gartner.
Smartphone sales closed out 2015 with a modest gain over 2014, says Gartner. Phone makers shipped 403 million units during the fourth quarter, pushing the full-year total to about 1.4 billion. Those figures represent a 9.7% and 14.4% improvement, respectively, when compared to 2014, but 2015 saw the slowest growth rate since 2008.
Samsung shipped 83.4 million devices during the fourth quarter, compared to Apple's shipments of 71.5 million. Huawei followed with 32 million, Lenovo shipped 20 million, and Xiaomi shipped 18.3 million. These top five vendors owned 20.7%, 17.7%, 8%, 5%, and 4.5% of the smartphone market, respectively. The "others" grouping, which contains Microsoft, LG, Sony, Alcatel, and ZTE, was responsible for combined shipments totaling 177 million.
The yearly totals are significant. Samsung, for example, pushed out 320 million devices, giving it 22.5% of the market for 2015. Apple followed with shipments of 225.8 million iPhones and 15.9% of the market. Huawei's total for the year was 104 million, with 7.3% of the market, while Lenovo shipped 72.7 million for 5.1% of the market, and Xiaomi shipped 65.6 million devices for 4.6% of the market.
(Image: Krystian Nawrocki/iStockphoto)
The platform numbers paint a bleak picture for the world's fledgling operating systems.
With quarterly shipments of about 320 million, Google's Android owned 80.7% of the smartphone market during the fourth quarter. Apple's iOS, which shipped on 71.5 million handsets, was a distant second with 17.7% of the market. Together, Android and iOS have a stranglehold, with 98.4% of the market. Compared to 2014, Apple lost some share to Google by the end of 2015.
Continue reading on EE Times' sister site, InformationWeek.