SAN JOSE, Calif. Lucent Technologies Inc. has offered to acquire Chromatis Networks Inc. (Herndon, Va.) for 78 million shares of Lucent stock, or roughly $4.5 billion.
Chromatis has developed what it calls "selective wave-division multiplexing," which allows dense WDM capabilities to be turned on and off dynamically at each node of a metropolitan ring. The technology is intended to allow carriers to deploy DWDM capabilities as needed.
The technology is deployed in Chromatis' Metropolis 4000 and 2000 systems, which debuted in March at the Optical Fiber Communications Conference.
Lucent already owns a 7 percent stake in Chromatis; the purchase price covers the remaining 93 percent.
All five founders of Chromatis will remain with the company as it is folded into Lucent's Optical Networking Group.
The acquisition is expected to close before June 30, Lucent officials said.