CARLSBAD, Calif.-- Fairchild Semiconductor International Inc. is planning to double the size of its product development operation in mixed-signal products with the transfer of its business unit from San Diego to facilities here.
The relocation and expansion is part of Fairchild's aggressive efforts to continue a growth rate that has double its revenues in the past three years to about $1.6 billion. This year, Fairchild expects sales to grow 35% (see June 15 story).
Fairchild's Mixed Signal Business Unit employs about 40 people, primarily in design engineering, product definition and marketing. Fairchild plans to increase its staff of IC designers in Carlsbad by over 50% before the end of the year.
Revenues from Fairchild's new products have grown from about 5%t of total sales in 1997 to about 35% this year. The South Portland, Maine, chip company is targeting of 40% of its total sales from new products. "We're introducing about 70 new products per quarter," said Kirk Pond, Fairchild's president, chairman and CEO of Fairchild, which was spun out of National Semiconductor Corp. three years ago. "There's a growing demand for new products, and our Phase II growth plan is designed to increase our share of the growing semiconductor market."
Fairchild is pushing hard in data conversion products--a prime mixed-signal target of rival Texas Instruments Inc., which on Wednesday announced a $7.6 billion acquisition of analog supplier Burr-Brown Corp. to take the lead in data converter products (see June 21 story).
"We're designing state-of-the-art data conversion ICs that compliment Fairchild's broad multi-market product offerings," said Michael Hollabaugh, vice president of the company's Mixed Signal Business Unit. "Our analog-to-digital (ADC) and digital-to-analog (DAC) products are enabling high-quality, cost-effective solutions in computer graphics display, digital imaging, and HDTV products for the consumer market. And we're working to expand our product repertoire into the wireless communications market where data converter technology is a critical skill."