San Diego--Sept. 22, 1997--Schlumberger Electronic Transactions introduced new smart card products supporting the Microsoft Smart Card Software Development Kit (SDK). The products, which include cards, readers, PC software, and developer's kits, enable ISVs and VARs to implement smart-card-based applications for Windows. These products support industry-standard interfaces providing opportunities to leverage new applications across a large platform base.
The new products introduced include:
- SmartWare, a comprehensive smart card developers' kit to build PC-based smart card applications using one of Schlumberger's smart cards, such as Cryptoflex, Cyberflex, Multiflex, and Payflex.
- SafePaK, a client PC package for information security supporting Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0, based on the Cryptoflex smart card and a family of different smart card readers.
SafePaK is an information security application product, supporting Internet Explorer 4.0 and Outlook Express. With SafePaK, individuals and corporations can improve the security of their network communications and assure the integrity of data and messages. SafePaK comprises Cryptoflex, a cryptographic smart card with strong 1024-bit RSA security, several optional smart card readers, and PC software.
SafePaK is being demonstrated during the Microsoft Professional Developers Conference. Cryptoflex cards are being issued to individuals, which they can use to download X.509 certificates, and then use them to demonstrate secure web site access and sending signed and encrypted e-mail, all with Internet Explorer 4.0 and Outlook Express.
With SmartWare an application developer can take advantage of standardized APIs working in the Windows 95 and Windows NT environments to build PC applications of all types. Smart cards are ideal for applications personalized to individuals, such as home banking, health care, insurance, and personal identification. The built-in hardware security of a smart card makes it the logical choice for secure, controlled access to sensitive databases, protecting the privacy of such information.
Each of these products is built on the PC/SC Workgroup specifications. The specifications provide a uniform API for smart card readers and smart cards themselves when used with personal computers.
Schlumberger's complete line of PC/SC compliant smart cards are designed to offer features and performance for virtually any application:
- Cryptoflex, a smart card supporting 1024-bit RSA functions
- Cyberflex, the card for Java, adhering to the Java Card API
- Multiflex, a general purpose card ideally suited for ID applications
- Payflex, the cost-effective choice for secure financial applications
A variety of PC/SC compliant smart card readers have also been announced including:
Schlumberger Electronic Transactions
- Reflex 20 PCMCIA-slot reader for laptops
- Reflex 60 serial port readers
- Reflex 60 Chip Set for hardware integration into PCs and other devices
- Pocket Dock serial port reader with secure keypad entry and display
- Floppy Dock smart card reader designed to use the floppy disk drive
Return to Headlines