TOKYO — Renesas Technology Corp. will participate in a Powerchip Semiconductor Corp. (PSC) subsidiary to reinforce software development and support for Chinese consumer electronics market.
Renesas and PSC have agreed that Renesas will jointly manage Retronix Technologies Inc. (RTX), currently a wholly owned subsidiary of PSC which is specialized in system solutions.
The participation starts next month (January 2007). Renesas will hold 37 percent of RTX equity, while the remaining 63 percent is owned by PSC.
RTX will develop and provide technical support for system solutions incorporating Renesas' system LSI products targeted at China market for digital home appliances and consumer electronics.
Renesas is reinforcing development resources overseas. In China, it has established an R&D center staffed with 500 engineers. This R&D base mainly focuses on microcontroller development.
The new joint venture operation will focus on software while the R&D center in Beijing mainly focuses on hardware. With development and support in system level, Renesas expects further business expansion in China, said a spokeswoman of Renesas.
RTX is a Taipei based company with 16 employees.