Faraday Technology Corporation has announced the FPGACompanion (FC) CPU chip, targeted at system companies who need a full-featured ARM CPU chip that can easily be interfaced to various FPGA devices. With an embedded ARM core and on-chip peripheral functions in the FC device, ASIC customers can use FC in system level SoC design verification together with customer logic implemented on FPGA devices. Faraday's FC has been sampled at several customer sites, with general availability starting immediately.
ARM is the most pervasive non-PC processor architecture for SoC implementations. However, lacking a device which can easily interface to FPGAs, many SoC-based designs start with either x86-, PowerPC- or MIPS-based architectures, and eventually convert to ARM-based SoCs later, requiring considerable software porting efforts. A validation platform and initial sampling vehicle is needed by SoC designers to perform system level validation prior to SoC commitment. Faraday's FC is tailored to fulfill these specific needs. Customers can use FC to address fast time-to-market needs while at the same time mitigating system risks with the availability of an early development & production platform.
About FPGACompanion (FC)
Faraday's FPGACompanion is a highly integrated silicon-proven device that integrates a 190 MHz ARM processor and peripherals, with a pre-integrated AHB bus header for direct connectivity to popular FPGA devices. The FC is architecturally compatible with Faraday's existing Peripheral Composer-1 (PC-1) structured ASIC platform.
- 190 MHz Faraday FA526 ARM v4 ISA CPU
- ARM AMBA 2.0-based system architecture
- 10/100 Ethernet MAC subsystem
- 2× USB 2.0 OTG and USB 2.0 device controllers with integrated PHY
- 8-channel 200 kSPS ADC
- SDRAM Controller (SDMC)
- Static Memory Controller (SMC)
- AES-DES Cipher Coprocessor (AES)
- Built-in AHB bridge and transaction header for external FPGA connectivity
- 100 MHz (1/2 system clock) external 32-bit AHB header for direct connectivity to external FPGAs
- 1 watt power dissipation at 190 MHz CPU operation
- UMC 0.18 m process
- 484-pin PBGA 23 × 23 mm2 package
- Complete H/W and S/W Evaluation Board (EVB) and documentation
For more information about Faraday's FPGACompaion, please visit the Faraday Website.