LONDON The name of the joint assembly and test venture between NXP Semiconductors and Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) is to be ASEN, the companies said as they announced the deal has been completed.
Plans for the joint venture, located in the Suzhou Industrial Park, Southern China, were announced earlier this year.
NXP (Eindoven, the Netherlands) will own 40 per cent of ASEN with the Taipei, Taiwan based specialist in test assembly operations owning the remaining 60 percent stake.
The Suzhou facility was originally owned by Philips Semiconductors, which just over a year ago became NXP through a private equity buyout. The companies plan to expand the assembly and test capacity within the next few years.
Initially, the venture will focus on mobile communications, but the aim is to expand into other sectors rapidly. The operation is offering a variety of package types, including low pin count QFN, LFBGA, SO, TSSOP and other common packages for mobile applications.
Commenting on the launch of the venture, Ajit Manocha, Executive Vice President, Chief Manufacturing Officer, NXP Semiconductors, said: ."This partnership is also a manifestation of NXP pioneering the asset light strategy in assembly and test, adding value in terms of cost and quality."