Here are the top five online stories for the week beginning Sunday, Aug. 24, as ranked by EE Times Europe readers, up to and including Friday, Aug. 29. The ranking is based on the number of reader "views" or "hits" on a particular article.
1) Atmel plan to restructure at Rousset revealed Atmel's plan for more cutbacks in France is being materialized as the San Jose-based chip maker said it will cut 180 jobs at its manufacturing site in Rousset, in the French region of Provence, according to French press.
2) Opinion: Recharge your engineering batteries Lithium-ion batteries are currently the preferred power source of a number of popular consumer products: including laptops, mobile phones and, increasingly, cars. However, writes Paul Buckley, the alarm bells have been ringing for lithium-ion technology.
3) Greener cars set to change IC landscape The recent hike in gas prices was only the tip of the iceberg. For years automotive manufacturers have been working on drive technologies intended to reduce the dependency on oil and at improving emissions.
4) Learn about the British police constable A satire on the police in the United Kingdom based on a Ladybird book of the 1950s.
5) Kremlin green lights $2 billion Mikron chip project Russia's Ministry of Industry and Trade has given formal approval to provide 27B roubles ($1.09B) to co-finance 65nm chip production, according to local reports.