Texas Instruments has introduced the TCA8418, a keypad scan device that can generate an interrupt output signal using a three-key combination such as CTRL-ALT-DEL, which frees up the processor from scanning the keypad for presses and releases, saving power and bandwidth. The TCA8418 supports applications such as smartphones, netbooks and mobile Internet devices (MID). For more information or to request samples, please see www.ti.com/tca8418-preu.
Key features and benefits of the TCA8418
· The key controller includes an oscillator that debounces at 50 us and maintains a 10-byte FIFO of key-press and key-release events, which can store up to 10 keys with overflow wrap capability.
· An interrupt (/INT) output can be configured to alert key presses and releases, either as they occur or at maximum rate.
· Power supply voltage operating range of 1.65 V to 3.6 V allows for glueless interface to today’s most advanced processors.
· Eighteen general purpose inputs/outputs (GPIO) can be configured into eight inputs and ten outputs, which supports an 8 x 10 keypad array (80 buttons) through the I2CTM interface.
· Low standby (idle) current consumption of 3 uA extends battery life in portable devices.
· Can be used with a processor that has limited GPIOs, and is compatible with a variety of advanced processors including many of TI’s OMAP 3 applications processors.
Availability and pricing
The TCA8418 is available now in the 4 mm x 4 mm QFN package and is priced at $1.20 in quantities of 1,000. A smaller, 2 mm x 2 mm WCSP version will be available in 1Q2010, offering a reduction of 75 percent board space over competitive devices.
Find out more about the TCA8418 by visiting these links:
· Download the datasheet and order samples: www.ti.com/tca8418-preu.
· Download the I2C Guide: www.ti.com/i2cguide-pr.
· See TI’s complete Interface portfolio: www.ti.com/interface-pr.
· Ask questions and share knowledge in TI’s E2E Community: http://www.ti.com/e2e-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries.
For more information, go to www.ti.com.
EuropeanCustomer Support Center(ECSC): www-k.ext.ti.com/sc/technical-support/pic/euro.htm
Note: The above text is the public part of the press release obtained from the manufacturer (with minor modifications). EETimes Europe cannot be held responsible for the claims and statements made by the manufacturer. The text is intended as a supplement to the new product presentations in EETimes Europe magazine.