LONDON – The Russian electronics component market is set to grow by 9.5 percent in 2012 to reach an annual size of about $2.6 billion, according to a report prepared by the Association of Suppliers of Electronic Components (ASPEC), a trade association for Russian distributors.
In 2010 the Russian components market, including semiconductors, passives and electromechanical components, was worth about $1.9 billion and it grew by 25 percent to reach an annual value of $2.4 billion in 2011, the association estimates.
The main feature of the Russian market is the large number of small and medium customers and the importance of distributors.
The top 30 Russian customers for electronic components have a market share worth about 30 percent of the market. About 400 large- and medium-sized customers take about 80 percent of the components by value and the remaining 20 percent of the market is taken by 3,000 small customers, according to ASPEC. The largest sectors in the Russian market are industrial and military electronics.
Local Russian distribution companies are responsible for about 65 percent of the market while direct sales from multinational distributors are responsible for a further 10 percent. Russian manufacturers of components hold about 30 percent of the market and their products are sold mainly into military and aerospace assembly, the group states.
More information on the Russian electronic components market is available in an 88-page report covering research conducted from February to April, 2012
ASPEC seems genuinely serious in making a go at providing a level playing field for Russian component vendors. It is part of IDEA, a conglomorate of local European, African and Asian distributors: http://www.ideaelectronics.com/page.asp?pag=403
Wonder if global distibutors like Avnet and Arrow want to engage wih ASPEC. There must be an opportunity in Russia they could tap.