MANHASSET, N.Y. Fujitsu Ltd. and TDK Corp. have
agreed in principle to form a strategic alliance in the magnetic hard disk drive head business that would combine the Philippines drive assembly operations of both companies.
The joint venture to build hard disk drive heads calls for TDK to take a 66% stake and Fujitsu the remaining 34%. Fujitsu will combine its Philippine subsidiary, Fujitsu Computer Products Corp. of the Philippines, with TDK's subsidiary TDK Philippines Corp., into the venture.
Considered a leading global disk drive supplier,
Fujitsu will leverage its vertical drive manufacturing capabilities, while TDK will leverage its strengths in materials technology to improve drive magnetic properties and process technology.
Both companies are now discussing details of the agreement and expect to sign a definitive agreement by October.