Cranston, R.I. Electronics manufacturing services (EMS) provider Federal Electronics Inc. is offering a free white paper that advises medical device original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) on choosing the right electronics EMS provider for medical products outsourcing.
While choosing the right EMS provider often translates into lower costs, higher productivity, greater creativity, and increased velocity to market, choosing the wrong supplier can result in product quality and customer retention issues, according to Federal Electronics.
The white paper, "Choosing the Right EMS Provider for Medical Products Outsourcing" covers supplier evaluation and selection processes, which include issues such as the following:
- Three key process capabilities on which to evaluate suppliers
- Defining your outsourcing strategy
- Matching your business profile to the prospective vendor
- Requiring flexibility as a must-have for high-mix, low-volume products
- Finding a personality "fit"
- Understanding your new product introduction strategy
- Recognizing Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) as a key capability
- Buying according to total acquisition cost rather than price
"The key in the process of selecting the right EMS provider is determining who can provide a seamless and efficient extension of your operation while conforming to the critical requirements imposed by the FDA and other regulatory bodies," said Ed Evangelista, vice president, Federal Electronics, in a statement.
"Selecting an EMS partner for medical devices is a strategic process. A successful long-term relationship will pay lasting dividends in lower costs, higher productivity, greater creativity, and increased velocity to market. But the stakes are high. Virtually every decision is a minefield. Don't take anything for granted," he added.