SAN FRANCISCO—The market for combo motion sensors is projected to surge by more than 700 in 2012, thanks to rapid adoption in cell phones and media tablets, according to market research firm IHS iSuppli.
Revenue for combo motion sensors such as inertial measurement units (IMUs) is expected to rise to $189.1 million in 2012, up from just $23 million in 2011, according to an IHS report on the MEMS market. The firm projects the market to grow by an additional 236 percent to $635.6 in 2013 and to cross the $1 billion sales mark in 2014.
[Get a 10% discount on ARM TechCon 2012 conference passes by using promo code EDIT. Click here to learn about the show and register.]
Though combo sensors first appeared four years ago, revenue was negligible for the first few years because of a shortage of product offerings, IHS said.
By 2016, IHS forecasts that combo sensor revenue will amount to $1.4 billion, accounting for 71 percent of the total motion sensor market in consumer and mobile applications. Discrete accelerometers, gyroscopes and compasses will make up the remainder of the market, or 29 percent, based on steadily shrinking usage, IHS said.
“Motion sensors—including gyroscopes, accelerometers and compasses—have become ubiquitous in smartphones and tablets,” said Jérémie Bouchaud, director and principal analyst for MEMS and sensors at IHS. “Since these sensors work together and their signal must be fused, combo sensors not only save space, they are also easing implementation by offering a convenient plug-and-play integrated solution."