ROHM has developed the BU1573KV, a video processor LSI that corrects video images in real time for improved readability, even under less than ideal ambient conditions. Optimized for LCD display units in car navigation and entertainment systems, the core consists of an AIE (Adaptive Image Enhancer) originally developed for surveillance cameras. The BU1573KV is a single video image processing chip specifically designed for display use. The intelligent AIE function treats each section of the video image independently using a number of algorithms based on the brightness as opposed to conventional units that process the entire image using one uniform brightness value. In addition, an RGB LCD interface is integrated for compatibility with the RGB 18/16 format, making it easy to add onto existing systems while delivering outstanding clarity even on WVGA+ sized LCD displays. A PMW signal generator for backlight modulation as well as brightness and gamma correction lead to a remarkable viewing experience.
Normally all of these functions result in increased energy consumption. The BU1573KV was engineered to operate at low power 1.5mW (at 15fps QVGA) reducing the load on the battery. (Sample price: 6.4 EURO) Main Characteristics of the BU1573K
1. The AIE Core is capable of correcting the brightness of each frame of the image.
2. Each image is rendered completely similar to the human eye resulting in staggeringly clear visuals.
3. Built-in color correction function delivers crisp, clear images.
4. Compatible with a number of display resolutions, from QCIF (176 _ 144) to WVGQ+ (854 _ 480).
5. Supports both CPU bus and RGB interfaces.
6. Compatible with 18/16 bit input/output format.
7. Multiple operation modes: Image Enhance, Analysis, Through, and Sleep.
8. Two selectable register settings: indirect addressing through the CPU bus or the I2C interface.
9. Equipped with PWM output for LCD backlight control
10. Built-in gamma and edge-enhancement filters.
ROHM ELECTRONICS GMBH
Europe Product Marketing Manager
Karl-Arnold-Stra_e 15, Willich-Munchheide D-47877 Germany
Note: The above text is the public part of the press release obtained from the manufacturer (with minor modifications). EETimes Europe cannot be held responsible for the claims and statements made by the manufacturer. The text is intended as a supplement to the new product presentations in EETimes Europe magazine.