Objective Interface Systems (OIS) provider of communications middleware for real-time and embedded systems, has announced the OIS Robotics Platform, a complete communications infrastructure which is claimed to simplify development and set a new security standard for robotics systems.
Robotic systems are growing increasingly complex, from autonomous security robots and home robots to large-scale industrial robotic equipment. Despite this complexity, robotic systems must communicate easily and reliably with each other as well as with manned platforms. The OIS Robotic Platform supplies a highly reliable off-the-shelf solution for seamlessly enabling the processing of the massive amounts of visual, auditory, and sensory programming and data contributing to all this complexity.
The OIS Robotics Platform features a trio of Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA) communications middleware products products: ORBexpress RT, ORBexpress DSP and ORBexpress FPGA. The platform also supports a wide variety of hardware architectures commonly used in robotics: general purpose processors (GPPs), digital signal processors (DSPs), and field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs). This multiple-device support lets robotics designers develop logic once on a common platform and then deploy to specific device hardware as desired. This preserves a company's investment in both software and hardware while compressing the time-to-market for new robots.
The OIS Robotics Platform also integrates with high-assurance communications security software, PCSexpress. Once implemented in a robot, for example, PCSexpress ensures the authorization of any entity communicating with the robot and the integrity of the data – with military-grade cryptography. PCSexpress secures robotics systems against hackers, against errors in the network infrastructure, and against unauthorized users, even within a plant.
The OIS Robotics Platform features:
- A family of standards-based CORBA Object Request Brokers (ORBs) to provide a flexible, upgradeable, and high-performance communications infrastructure for robotics systems.
- A complete middleware solution in a very small footprint, which is especially important for power-constrained robots.
- Support for partial reconfigurability on the FPGA, which simplifies programming while significantly increasing application code reuse. This is critical in sophisticated systems such as automotive assembly plants, which often require field upgradeability of robotics systems.
- Support for high-security communications through PCSexpress communications product that is designed for the highest levels of security and robustness.
- Support for multiple pluggable transports with Quality of Service (QoS), such as TCP/IP, UDP, Shared Memory, Ethernet, PCI, PCI Express and RDMA technologies (e.g, RapidIO and INFINIBAND), takes care of communications throughout the system without requiring any rewriting of transport protocols.
The OIS Robotics Platform, consisting of ORBexpress RT, ORBexpress DSPand ORBexpress FPGA, is currently available from OIS for a package price. For more information on the OIS Robotics Platform, please visit: www.ois.com/products, call 1-800-800-OIS7 in the U.S., +33 (0) 6 68 35 15 45 in Europe or +81 (0)3-5623-2112 in Japan or e-mail inquiries to: email@example.com.
Visit OIS at RoboDevelopment, Booth #311
Robotics Trends' RoboDevelopment Conference and Exposition held October 25-26, 2007 in San Jose, California is a multifaceted educational forum and trade show dedicated to addressing the technical issues involved with the design and development of commercial robotic products. For more information, please visit: www.robodevelopment.com.