Melexis announces the MLX75305 Light-to-Voltage SensorEyeCTM. This is the second member of the SensorEyeCTM series of optical sensors specifically designed for high volume automotive, industrial and consumer applications. The light sensor’s output gives a voltage that varies linearly with incident light.
This MLX75305 is an integrated sensor IC, which means that the photodiode, transimpedance amplifier and linear voltage output stage are all included in the sensor chip. This guarantees stable light responsivity over time and over temperature, and also drastically improves noise behavior when compared to designs that use discrete photodiodes. It simplifies application design, requires fewer external components and improves quality.
The first SensorEyeCTM device - the dirt-robust MLX75303 Optical Switch - was launched in April 2008.
More than 15 Years of Lifetime
Melexis did not wait 15 years before bringing this light sensor to the market. Instead, SensorEyeCTM devices are baked in an oven at 150°C and remain powered-on during a total test run time of more than 500 hours. This test accelerates the aging process of the silicon by a factor of 258 for sensor operations at 55°C, resulting in an equivalent continuous operating lifetime of more than 132000 hours.
Because all sensors performed well after the aging test, their lifetime thus exceeds 15 years.
“The high temperature operating lifetime (HTOL) testing is one of many qualification tests we do on our light sensors,” says Sam Maddalena, Business Unit Manager Opto Sensors. Maddalena continues, “Our automotive customers request this kind of reliability evaluation because repairing defects in cars is very expensive and inconvenient for car owners. Our customers will benefit tremendously from the low PPM, temperature independency of the sensor’s behavior and the 260°C solder reflow capabilities.”
The MLX75305 is suited for measuring ambient light or for controlling LED light in LCD backlight dimming applications. Its unique features include:
- Highly linear voltage output
- Light responsivity that is relatively independent of temperature
- Small DFN open cavity package: 3mm x 3mm x 0.65mm (also available in SO8 package)
- Very high positional accuracy: the small, symmetrical DFN package provides pin-to-photodiode accuracy better than ±85µm.
- Extended operating temperature range of -40°C to +125°C that meets AEC-Q100 automotive specifications. A consumer version up to +85°C is available also.
- Lead free solder reflow compatible for 260°C peak process temperatures
The MLX75305 Light-to-Voltage SensorEyeCTM is perfectly fit for a number of applications:
1. LCD backlight dimming of television sets, notebook computers, mobile phones (GSM), GPS receivers and portable multimedia players (MP3, DVD). This enables easier screen reading and helps save battery power on portable devices.
2. Hand presence detection. For instance for automatic activation of water taps and hand dryers.
3. LED lighting: LED monitoring and control of light intensity & colour.
4. Automotive applications include automatic light dimming of instrument panels and displays, headlights on/off control and hand presence detection for opening doors.
The MLX75305 is available with lead times of 16 weeks ARO. The MLX75305 SensorEyeCTM, consumer version, is value priced in the 0.30 $USD range for medium volume quantities. For the MLX75305 datasheet, brochure, photo, application descriptions, an application note or a feature article, visit www.melexis.com.
Melexis N.V. (Euronext Brussels: MELE) is a supplier of smart mixed-signal semiconductors. Our core experience derived from more than ten years supplying ICs to the automotive electronics market sustains the expansion into Application Specific Standard Products for industrial and consumer product applications. Melexis’ products include sensor ICs (Hall-effect, optical, infrared and Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems or MEMS), communication ICs (low power RF, RFID and Automotive BUS), actuator ICs (for electric motors, solenoids and LEDs) and Application Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICs). Further information about Melexis can be found at http://www.melexis.com .
Note: The above text is the public part of the press release obtained from the manufacturer (with minor modifications). EETimes Europe cannot be held responsible for the claims and statements made by the manufacturer. The text is intended as a supplement to the new product presentations in EETimes Europe magazine.