MEMS-based silicon timing solutions specialist, SiTime Corporation, has introduced a new family of programmable oscillators that are designed to extend battery life in portable and consumer electronics by delivering the industry's lowest power consumption and fastest start-up time.
The devices are programmable - with frequencies, voltages and tolerances that can be configured easily - enabling shipment of customized samples in 24 hours and production quantities in two weeks. Additionally, the oscillator packages have standard footprints and can be used as drop-in replacements for quartz devices.
The first three solutions in this product family include:
- SiT8003 - a low power programmable oscillator;
- SiT8003XT - the world's thinnest programmable oscillator at 0.25 mm;
- SiT8033 - a two-frequency, low power programmable oscillator.
The three new oscillators feature low power consumption in active and standby modes, typically less than 3.5 mA and 10 uA, respectively, and offer a very fast start-up time of less than 3 ms. To enable customization, the devices can be programmed to operate at 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 2.8 V or 3.3 V, and at frequencies from 1 MHz to 110 MHz. The low power oscillators are the most flexible in the industry, allowing them to be used in a wide range of microprocessor, microcontroller and serial I/O applications.
SiTime's low power programmable oscillators offer features that simplify system design:
- The SiT8003 is available in standard four-pad package footprints of 2.5 x 2.0 mm, 3.2 x 2.5 mm, 5.0 x 3.2 mm and 7.0 x 5.0 mm. Designers can reduce the number of suppliers and parts on their Approved Vendor List (AVL) by replacing multiple fixed-frequency oscillators with the SiT8003. The device also offers frequency tolerance of +/-25 PPM, allowing more timing margin for high performance applications such as video.
- The SiT8003XT offers the world's thinnest package at 0.25 mm, making it ideal for smart cards, high capacity SIM cards and smaller, thinner consumer electronics.
- The SiT8033 enables the user to select one of two related frequencies from the same device. With this feature, the same device can be used in different applications to simplify procurement and reduces inventory cost.
The SiT8003, SiT8003XT and SiT8033 will be available for sampling in mid-February 2009. Production quantities will be available in late March 2009.