Texas Instruments Incorporated has introduced three hot-swap managers that help protect against over currents for voltage rails between 3 V and 20 V and an operating current of up to 5 A. The TPS2420 comes in a tiny 16-pin QFN package and the TPS2421-1 and TPS2421-2 come in 8-pin SOIC packages and offer more than twice the current throughput of existing hot-swap managers with integrated FETs in the same voltage range. For product details see: www.ti.com/tps2420-pr.
The TPS2420 family supports applications such as disk drive arrays, network clients, industrial monitoring devices and communications systems. The devices require up to 70 percent fewer external components than competitive products to implement a complete solution. Each device can operate across the entire operating voltage range with only the timing capacitor and resistor-set current thresholds.
• Input voltage range from 3 V to 20 V
• Integrated FET and current sense element
• Onboard FET RDS (on) of 20mΩ
• Fault threshold adjustable from (0-5A)
• Independent current-limit threshold-TPS2420
• Power limiting with fast overload protection
• Programmable fault timer
• Analog current monitor output-TPS2420
• Fault and power good output
• Selectable latch or auto-retry Key Benefits
• Common product for multiple required system voltage rails
• Reduces board space and complexity
• Improves overall system efficiency
• Current range fits many applications
• Allows for either a fixed current or additional load current for set period TPS2420
• Internal power limiting keeps FET in safe operating area
• Eliminates nuisance shutdowns
• Allows external A/D to monitor current TPS2420
• Useful for system control and to enable downstream DC/DC converters
• Fault behavior tailored for system need
Availability and pricing
The TPS2420 is available now in a QFN-16 package. The TPS2421-1 and TPS2421-2 will be available in second quarter 2009, in SOIC 8-pin packages. The TPS2420 is priced at $1.95 and the TPS2421-1 and TPS2421-2 are priced at $1.60, in quantities of 1,000.
Find out more about TI’s hot-swap manager portfolio by visiting the links below:
• TPS2420 evaluation modules and samples: www.ti.com/tps2420-pr
• TI’s complete power management portfolio: www.power.ti.com
• TI’s hot-swap E2E online community: http://community.ti.com/forums/102.aspx
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 25 countries.
For more information, go to www.ti.com
For reader inquiries please contact:
Texas InstrumentsEuropean Customer Support CenterEmail: email@example.com
Toll Free: 00800 ASK TEXAS (00800 275 83927)
If Toll Free number is not available: +49 8161 80 2121
Note: The above text is the public part of the press release obtained from the manufacturer (with minor modifications). EETimes Europe cannot be held responsible for the claims and statements made by the manufacturer. The text is intended as a supplement to the new product presentations in EETimes Europe magazine.