San Diego, Calif.–ROHM Semiconductor has developed LED driver for automotive forward illumination applications that allows designers to specify the same driver for use in high-beam, low-beam and daytime running light (DRL) circuits.
The BD8381EFV-M current-mode buck/boost controller provides stable operation over a wide input voltage and removes constraints on the number of LEDs in series connection. Integrated protection monitors voltage, current and temperature. LED open and short circuit detection is also provided. The BD8381EFV-M has an internal PWM controller so dimming functions can be implemented with a simple external CR circuit. This same circuit can limit output current in case of LED over-temperature detection.
- Input voltage range 5.0 – 30 V
- Integrated buck-boost current-mode DC/DC controller
- Built-in CR timer for PWM brightness
- PWM linear brightness
- Built-in protection functions (UVLO, OVP, TSD, OCP, SCP)
- LED error status detection function (OPEN/ SHORT)
- HTSSOP-B28 package
Pricing: $8 in small OEM quantities
Availability: Samples by year-end; mass production April/May 2011
Datasheet: Click here.