Thales has introduced a long range ground surveillance radar, dubbed Ground Observer 80 (GO80), suitable for army, border/coast guard and security applications.
The GO 80, instrumented for 80 km range, detects persons (0.5 m² radar cross section) at ranges up to 24 km, other small targets (1 m²) up to 29 km. Vehicles (20 m²) are detected up to 60 km range and larger targets up to 80 km. These detection ranges are achieved independent of scan angle.
The GO 80 can cover full 360°, also in unconstrained rotation. Large scan angles of about 180° are necessary in many customers’ applications, at borders, coast lines or in security surveillance and cannot be achieved by electronic scan radars, which are limited to 90°/120°.
Within GO 80, up to 5 flexible surveillance sectors of any size up to 360° can be pre-set with individual parameters and will be scanned automatically by the radar.
Given its small range gate sizes (10/20/40 m) tight target formations of any kind can be discriminated and clutter effects on detection are minimized. Facilitated by the 2000 range gate processing capacity, a 40 km arc for example can be covered with small 20 m range increments.
Ground Observer 80 comprises an internal Track While Scan (TWS) tracker which allows for tracking of up to 50 targets in parallel during normal surveillance operation. Target recognition is aided by an Automatic Target Classification function.
With 800 MHz frequency agile operation, low antenna side lobes, variable signal formats as well as output power and high order FFT processing followed by M out of N detection, the Ground Observer 80 features the most comprehensive EPM/ECCM suite in a GSR.
GO 80 main features:
• X-Band, Pulse-Doppler
• Instrumented Range up to 80 km
• N x 360° surveillance; 5 flexible sectors (8°/s, 16°/s, 32°/s scan)
• Detection ranges
• Person 0.5 m²: 24 km
• Person/small target 1m²: 29 km
• Vehicle 20 m²: 60 km
• Azimuth resolution 1.5°
• No dependency of range, AZ accuracy and resolution on scan angle/sector
• 2000 range gates (10/20/40m)
• Full instrumentation of 40 km with 20 m range gates
• Multiple (TWS, ≈ 50) or Single Target Tracking
• Automatic Target Classification
• Comprehensive ECCM/EPM: frequency agility 800 MHz , low antenna sidelobes, variable TX power and signal formats
• Standard interface for easy integration/netting
• Integration on vehicles or towers or stand-alone man-portable (Sensor 34 + 34 kg)
Thales' GO80 is designed for border surveillance, target acquisition for indirect fire adjustment and the integration to surveillance/recce vehicles.