The new Ultra COMM+8.PCIE serial interface from Sealevel Systems, Inc. is designed to deliver ultimate flexibility for expanding serial communications in a variety of test and measurement, process control, and point-of-sale applications. Compatible with any PCI Express slot, the board provides eight multifunction serial ports, each individually field-configurable for RS-232, RS-422, or RS-485.
The Ultra COMM+8.PCIE utilizes 16C954 UARTs with 128-byte Tx/Rx FIFOs, which enables data rates to 921.6K bps for reliable high-speed communications in data intensive applications. This high-performance UART includes 9-bit framing support and is register compatible with legacy 16550 software applications. In addition, the board derives a 62.5 MHz clock from the PCI Express bus. This ultra high-speed clock is divided by a flexible 16-bit clock prescalar to provide support for the widest range of standard and non-standard baud rates.
In RS-485 mode, the board provides automatic control of the RS-485 driver in hardware, eliminating the need for application software control. This allows the Ultra COMM+8.PCIE to be used with standard serial communications applications and removes the risk of bus contention and data corruption. Additionally, RS-485 network termination, critical to robust multi-drop communication, can be selectively added to the circuit via DIP-switches. In RS-232 mode, all modem control signals are implemented for maximum compatibility with a variety of serial peripherals.
The Ultra COMM+8.PCIE (Item# 7804e) ships with a 36-inch cable that terminates to eight DB9M connectors.
- Eight serial ports each individually configurable for RS-232, RS-422, or RS-485
- 16C954 buffered UARTs with 128-byte FIFOs
- Oscillator and clock prescalar support wide range of baud rates
- Supports 9-bit protocol framing Each port supports data rates to 921.6K bps
- RS-485 line termination, pull-up and pull-down resistors for each port are selectable via dipswitch RS-485
- ECHO can be enabled/disabled via dipswitch
- PCI Express X1 compliant
- Compatible with all standard size PCI Express slots
- All modem control signals implemented in RS-232 mode
- Automatic RS-485 enable/disable in hardware
Ultra COMM+8.PCIE prices start at $499.00 and quantity discounts are available.
For more information, visit www.sealevel.com
or call +1 864-843-4343.
Toni McConnel can be reached at Toni@TechRite-Associates.com.