Allegro MicroSystems Inc. announced a new multi-output WLED/RGB driver for backlighting LCD monitors and televisions.
The A8516 LED driver IC integrates a boost controller to drive an external MOSFET and six internal current sink channels capable of up to 80 mA each, and channels can be combined together to achieve even higher currents.
The boost converter operates in constant frequency (programmable) current mode control. The LED sink current is set by an external R_ISET resistor and PWM dimming allows LED currents to be controlled. The A8516 provides protection against overvoltage, open or shorted LED string, and over temperature. A dual level cycle-by-cycle current limit function provides soft start and protects against overloads.
- Six integrated high current sinks
- Fixed frequency current mode control with integrated gate driver
- 300 kHz to 1 MHz adjustable Boost switching frequency
- Controlled startup using options of Enable, PWM signal, or battery voltage ramp
- Active current sharing between LED strings for ±0.6% accuracy and matching
- No audible MLCC noise during PWM dimming
- Adjustable overvoltage protection (OVP)
- Open or shorted LED string protection
- Overtemperature, cycle-by-cycle current limit, and undervoltage protection
- SOIC 24-pin package for easy single-side PCB manufacturing, or TSSOP 24-pin package with exposed thermal pad for better thermal performance
Pricing: $1.54 in quantities of 1,000.
Datasheet: Click here.