Analog Devices, Inc. has introduced a 200-MHz version of its ADSP-BF592 Blackfin embedded processor that delivers 400-MMAC performance for $1.99 each in 1,000-unit quantities. The lower-cost 200 MHz version achieves a BDTImark2000 performance score of 1120 and cost score of 562 compared with the 400 MHz version’s BDTImark2000 performance score of 2240 and cost score of 747 - which was the highest performance/cost score ever recorded by DSP benchmarking firm BDTI (Berkeley Design Technology, Inc.).
This new price point for the BF592 makes ADI’s DSP price/performance accessible to a broad range of cost-sensitive applications. Featuring active power draw as low as 51 mW and a tiny 9 mm x 9 mm 64-lead LFCSP package, the new 200-MHz Blackfin BF592 model makes integrating high-performance DSPs even more practical for many power and cost-constrained applications in the industrial, medical, video, audio and general-purpose markets. Target applications for the BF592 include portable healthcare products, audio devices and imaging products such as CMOS-sensor-based 2-D barcode scanners.
Blackfin ADSP-BF592 Key Features
Pricing and Availability
- Highest DSP performance for its price lets developers run more sophisticated algorithms with more system-level advantages.
- Low active power draw of just 51 mW at 200 MHz and low standby power of less than 1 mW consumes 80 percent less power than comparable solutions to extend battery life.
- The industry’s smallest 400-MMAC/200-MHz device with a 9 mm x 9 mm footprint allows designers to pack tremendous performance into space-constrained designs.
- Optimized for multiple applications with no external memory or executable flash: peripheral set includes two SPORT’s, a PPI, two SPI’s, four general-purpose counters and a factory-programmed instruction ROM block containing the VDK RTOS and C-runtime libraries.
- Offered in commercial and industrial temperature grades; automotive qualified.
The Blackfin ADSP-BF592 is priced at $1.99 per unit based on 1,000-unit quantities for the 200-MHz speed grade (Model Number ADSP-BF592KCPZ-2). Processors are sampling to customers today.$99 Development Platform
An EZ-KIT Lite evaluation kit for the Blackfin ADSP-BF592 is being offered for a discounted price of $99 (normally $199) until December 31, 2011, available from ADI’s authorized distributors. The kit includes an evaluation suite of ADI’s VisualDSP++ development environment with the C/C++ compiler, assembler and linker. ADI also offers a $150 Blackfin emulator (ADZS-ICE-100B), which provides designers with a comprehensive development platform that lowers the cost of entry to the Blackfin BF592. In addition, a complementary selection of ADI’s power ICs, data converters, sensors and signal conditioning ICs are available for optimizing processor and overall signal-chain performance.
View the Blackfin ADSP-BF592 product page
for data sheet.
View the Blackfin ADSP-BF592 introduction video
featuring the 400-MHz speed grade version.
Visit ADI’s online technical support community EngineerZone
for DSP support.Toni McConnel covers new products in the embedded systems industry and is a partner in the technical writing team TechRite Associates. She can be reached at Toni@TechRite-Associates.com.