Aimed at portable applications, Texas Instruments Inc. rolled out a highly integrated protection device that combines four types of USB 2.0 chip protection— over-voltage, under-voltage, over-temperature and electrostatic discharge —in a single package.
According to TI, the TPD4S014 is the industry's smallest USB protection device for all four USB channels, measuring 2 mm x 2 mm. If the device junction temperature exceeds 150ºC, the switch turns off to the power rail, protecting against over-temperature conditions. To protect the power rail from a moving voltage line, the load switch in the TPD4S014 immediately opens, preventing under- or over-voltage if the power supply rail drops lower than 2.8 V or higher than 6.15 V.
Applications include cell phones, e-books, portable media players and digital cameras, tablets, embedded computing, portable navigation, portable land surveying, and portable test and measurement. Key highlights:
- Offers protection for all four High-Speed USB (USB 2.0) channels: D+, D-, VBUS and ID
- Complies with the highest level of ESD protection, with immunity of ±8-kV contact discharge and ±15-kV air-gap discharge per IEC61000-4-2 system-level ESD immunity testing
- Compatible with both Full Speed and High Speed, supporting data rates of up to 480 Mbps.
- Input Voltage protection at VBUS up to 28V
- Low Ron nFET switch
- Supports >2A charging current
- Over voltage and under voltage lock out features
- Low capacitance TVS ESD clamp for USB2.0 high-speed data rate
- Internal 16ms startup delay
- Integrated input enable and status output signal
- Thermal shutdown feature
Availability and pricing
The TPD4S014 comes in a 10-pin, 4-mm2 DSQ SON package and is in full production now. The TPD4S014 is available from TI and authorized distributors with the suggested resale price of $0.55 in quantities of 1,000.