Analog Devices Inc. (ADI) is continuing to help industrial, medical and communications equipment designers improve power system performance by reducing board space with its latest multi-output regulators.
The ADP5041 and ADP5040 regulators combine a high-efficiency, 3-MHz, 1.2-A buck regulator and two 300-mA LDOs (low dropout regulators) in a small 20-lead LFCSP package. Unlike discrete power solutions that require up to 14 components and 126 mm2 of board space, the ADP5041 and ADP5040 use only nine components and 50 mm2 of board space.
The ADP5041 and ADP5040 are employed as power management companions to mid-range FPGAs, microprocessor and DSP systems where core, IO and memory voltages are necessary. The ADP5041 regulator's on-chip watchdog timer monitors code execution integrity in processor-based systems and resets the processor if it fails to strobe within a preset timeout period. The ADP5041 also features a high accuracy (±1.5% over temperature) reset generator that can be externally programmed to monitor low voltage power supply rails.
The ADP5041 has a special circuit that detects a three-state condition when applied to the watchdog refresh input at the WDI pin typically controlled by a processor/DSP output port. When the processor sets this port in three-state mode, the watchdog refresh timer is disabled, preventing a watchdog reset to the processor.
Applications include short product design schedules such as portable medical and industrial devices.
- One 1.2-A buck regulator
- Output voltage range = 0.8 V to 3.8 V
- Current mode topology for excellent transient response
- 3-MHz operating frequency
- Peak efficiency up to 96 percent
- Regulator total accuracy: ±3 percent
- Two 300-mA LDOs
- Output voltage range = 0.8 V to 4.75 V
- Low input supply voltage from 1.7 V to 5.5 V
- Stable with 2.2-µF ceramic output capacitors
- High PSRR = 60-dB up to 10 kHz
- Low output noise = 60 µV rms typical output noise at 1.2 V
- Low dropout voltage = 150-mV at 300-mA load
Pricing: The ADP5041 costs $1.79 and the ADP5040 is $1.39 in 1k quantities.
Datasheets: ADP5041 and ADP5040