austriamicrosystems recently launched its TSL4531 ambient light sensor family, which enables sophisticated daylight harvesting for intelligent lighting systems and luminaires.
The sensor family offers a wide sensitivity range from 3 lux to 220,000 lux, preventing saturation even in direct sunlight while implementing a photopic response model that spectrally matches light perception in the human eye.
The TSL4531 ambient light sensor provides a simple, direct lux output and a 16-bit digital interface. Sophisticated filters automatically reject the 50-60 Hz ripple typically produced by a building's fluorescent lighting systems, enabling the sensed light levels to more accurately measure the daylight that is entering the building.
- Direct lux output
- Approximates the human eyes spectral response in diverse lighting conditions
- Three user-selectable integration times: 400 ms, 200 ms, and 100 ms
- Wide dynamic range: 3 lux to 220,000 lux
- Low active current: 110 µA typical
- Power down mode: 2.2 µA typical
- 16-bit digital output compatible with I2C interface
- Ultra-small 2 mm x 2 mm ChipLED package
- 2.5 V supply voltage with 1.8 V logic interface
- Rejects 50 Hz/60 Hz lighting ripple
The TSL4531 ambient light sensor IC is available now in volume production.