PARIS – Texas Instruments announced it has introduced the ADS1299, a low noise, 8-channel, 24-Bit Analog Front End (AFE) for biopotential measurements.
TI claimed the ADS1299 is a low-noise, multichannel, simultaneous-sampling, 24-bit, delta-sigma (?S) analog-to-digital converter (ADC) with a built-in programmable gain amplifier (PGA), internal reference, and an on-board oscillator. The ADS1299 incorporates all commonly-required features for electroencephalogram (EEG) applications.
TI said the ADS1299 has a flexible input multiplexer per channel that can be independently connected to the internally-generated signals for test, temperature, and lead-off detection. Additionally, any configuration of input channels can be selected for derivation of the patient bias output signal. The ADS1299 operates at data rates from 250 SPS to 16 kSPS. Lead-off detection can be implemented internal to the device, either with an external pull-up or pull-down resistor or an excitation current sink or source.
• Eight Low-Noise PGAs and Eight High-Resolution Simultaneous-Sampling ADCs
• Very Low Input-Referred Noise:
1.0 µVPP (70-Hz BW)
• Low Power: 5 mW/channel
• Input Bias Current: 300 pA
• Data Rate: 250 SPS to 16 kSPS
• CMRR: –110 dB
• Programmable Gain: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, or 24
• Unipolar or Bipolar Supplies:
o Analog: 4.75 V to 5.25 V
o Digital: 1.8 V to 3.6 V
• Built-In Bias Drive Amplifier,
Lead-Off Detection, Test Signals
• Built-In Oscillator
• Internal or External Reference
• Flexible Power-Down, Standby Mode
• Pin-Compatible with the ADS1298IPAG
• SPI™-Compatible Serial Interface
• Operating Temperature Range: –40°C to +85°CApplications:
• Medical Instrumentation (EEG and ECG) Including:
o EEG, Bispectral index (BIS), Evoked audio potential (EAP), Sleep study monitor
• High-Precision, Simultaneous, Multichannel Signal AcquisitionAvailability and pricing:
The ADS1299 is available now in a 10-mm by 10-mm QFP package for $US36 in 1,000-unit quantities.
To access the ADS1299EEG-FE Performance Demonstration Kit
, click here
.Read also:Improving medical imaging with direct radiography
Choosing the right EMS partner for medical apps
Sensor fusion and MEMS for 10-DoF solutions
Wireless connectivity protocols for embedded systems------------------------
If you found this article to be of interest, visit Medical Designline
where you will find the latest and greatest design, technology,
product, and news articles with regard to all aspects of clean
technologies. And, to register to our weekly newsletter, click here.