Microsemi Corp. announced the availability of more than a dozen new devices in its new generation of 1200 V non-punch through (NPT) IGBTs, which include 25A, 50A and 70A current ratings.
Microsemi's NPT IGBT product family is designed for a wide range of industrial applications requiring high power and high performance, with the newest devices well-suited for arc welders, solar inverters, and uninterruptible and switch mode power supplies. All of the devices in this 1200V product family are based on Microsemi's advanced Power MOS 8 technology, which enables a significant reduction of at least 20 percent in total switching and conduction losses as compared to competitive solutions, according to Microsemi.
Consistent with all devices in the product family, Microsemi's new NPT IGBT solutions can be packaged with Microsemi's FREDs or silicon carbide Schottky diodes to provide engineers with a highly integrated solution that allows them to streamline product development efforts.
Additional features include:
- Significantly lower gate charge than similar devices, allowing faster switching;
- Hard switching operation greater than 80 kilohertz to enable efficient power conversion;
- Easy to parallel (positive temperature coefficient of Vcesat) to improve reliability in high power applications; and
- Short Circuit Withstand Time Rated (SCWT), providing reliable operation in applications requiring short circuit capability.
- In addition to the benefits of the device, Microsemi offers NPT IGBTs in a large surface mount backside solderable D3 package, allowing designers to achieve increased power density and lower manufacturing costs.
Packaging and Availability
Microsemi's 1200V NPT IGBT product family now consists of over 20 devices with current ratings of 25A, 40A, 50A, 70A and 85A. The IGBT products are available in D3, TO-247, T-MAX, TO-264 and SOT-227 packages.