Linear Technology Corp. has developed a high voltage inverting DC/DC controller dubbed LTC3863 that uses just a single inductor to produce a negative voltage from a positive input voltage.
Most low to medium power inverters use a coupled inductor topology, or transformer which increases the circuit size and complexity. The LTC3863 simplifies the design further with all of its interface signals being positive ground referenced. None of the LTC3863 pins are connected to a negative voltage, allowing the output voltage to be limited only by the selection of external components.
The LTC3863, operating over a 3.5V to 60V input supply range, is designed to protect against high voltage transients, to operate continuously during automotive cold crank and cover a broad range of input sources and battery chemistries. This device helps increase the run-time in battery-powered applications with its low 70ľA quiescent current in standby mode with the output enabled in Burst Mode operation. The LTC3863s output voltage can be set from -0.4V to -150V or lower at up to 3A typical; making it well suited for 12V or 24V automotive, heavy equipment, industrial control, robotic and telecom applications.
- VIN Range from 3.5V to 60V
- Wide VOUT Range: -0.4V to -150V
- Requires Only One Inductor
- Low Quiescent Current 70ľA in Standby mode
- Selectable Low Ripple Burst ModeŽ Operation or Pulse Skipping at Light Loads
- Selectable Fixed Operating Frequency from 50kHz to 850kHz
- PLL Synchronizable Operating Frequency from 75kHz to 750kHz
- Current-Mode Control for Fast Transient Response & Easy Loop Compensation
- Adjustable Soft-Start or Tracking
- Output Overvoltage & Overcurrent Protection
- Power Good Output Signal
- Extended & Industrial Grades: -40°C to 125°C Operating Junction Temp
- Automotive Temp Grade: -40°C to 150°C Operating Junction Temp
- Military Temp Grade: -55°C to 150°C Operating Junction Temp
Pricing: The 1,000-piece price starts at $2.06 each.