Linear Technology Corp. has introduced the LTC2378-20, a 20-bit 1Msps no latency successive approximation register (SAR) A/D converter with exceptionally low 0.5ppm (typ) and 2ppm (max) Integral Non-Linearity (INL) error.
The 0.5ppm INL of the LTC2378-20 enables a new generation of precision systems with true 20-bit accuracy. The proprietary architecture leads to a stable 2ppm (max) INL and -114dB THD (max) over the device’s entire operating range of -40°C to 85°C.
According to Linear, the LTC2378-20 achieves the industry’s highest SNR of 104dB for a 1Msps no latency A/D converter. The wide dynamic range and true 20-bit resolution reduce or eliminate the need for additional gain in the signal chain, thereby improving total system accuracy and noise. Fast 1Msps throughput with no latency enables the use of multiplexers to replace costly, independent A/D converters with slower throughputs, thus reducing system cost and complexity.
The LTC2378-20 is the leadership product in a pin- and software-compatible family of 20/18/16-bit SAR A/D converters with speeds ranging from 250ksps up to 2Msps with serial SPI interfaces. The 20-bit 250ksps (LTC2376-20) and 500ksps (LTC2377-20) versions will be released in May.
Summary of Features: LTC2378-20
- 1Msps Throughput Rate
- ±0.5ppm INL (Typ), ±2ppm INL (Max)
- Guaranteed 20-Bit No Missing Codes
- Low Power: 21mW at 1Msps, 21µW at 1ksps
- 104dB SNR (Typ) at fIN = 2kHz
- –125dB THD (Typ) at fIN = 2kHz
- Digital Gain Compression (DGC)
- Guaranteed Operation to 85°C
- 2.5V Supply
- Fully Differential Input Range ±VREF
- VREF Input Range from 2.5V to 5.1V
- No Pipeline Delay, No Cycle Latency
- 1.8V to 5V I/O Voltages
- SPI-Compatible Serial I/O with Daisy-Chain Mode
- Internal Conversion Clock
- 16-Lead MSOP & 4mm × 3mm DFN Packages
The LTC2378-20, LTC2377-20 and the LTC2376-20 are available in small MSOP-16 and 4mm x 3mm DFN-16 packages, priced starting at $29.50, $25.50 and $18.17 each, respectively, in 1,000 piece quantities. For more information, click here.