A new software development kit (SDK) from Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) brings Android 4.0 to TIís Sitara AM335x and AM37x ARM-Cortex-A8 processors. The new offering allows innovators to fully evaluate Android 4.0 on embedded applications running on TIís Sitara processors.
Sitara ARM developers can take advantage of Android 4.0 for low-cost, low-power applications, including wearable gadgets such as watches, goggles, display panels for home appliances and automation, education and enterprise tablets that are non-video centric, point-of-sale terminals, portable navigation devices and industrial control applications.
Complete with pre-integrated connectivity and 3D graphics capabilities, the SDK provides a stable software foundation that can be utilized on a wide range of Sitara processor products. To help developers quickly and easily integrate and evaluate Android-based applications, the SDK is fully tested for functionality using the Android compatibility test suite on the AM335x evaluation module (EVM), Beagleboard-xM, BeagleBone, AM37x EVM and Flash Board platforms.
Click on image to enlarge.
The SDK includes:
Pricing and availability
- Linux kernel
- Boot loaders (uboot/x-loader)
- Android 4.0.3 ďIce Cream SandwichĒ operating system (OS)
- 3D graphics using Imagination Technologies' POWERVR SGX OpenGL driver and libraries
- TIís WiLink 6.0 combo connectivity drivers for Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth v2.1 technologies
- RowboPERF, a performance measurement and benchmarking application
- Host tools for Android debugging with TIís Code Composer Studio integrated development environment
- Application notes, guides and test results to help developers with their designs
The Android 4.0 SDK for TIís Sitara ARM Cortex-A8 processors is available for free download
today, with no development or production restrictions. Developers interested in experimenting with the latest Android code for Sitara can also visit the open source community at arowboat.org. Developers can begin evaluating on a variety of TI platforms including:
- Full-featured AM335x EVM (TMDXEVM3558) for $995
- AM37x EVM (TMDXEVM3715) for $1,495
- BeagleBone from www.beagleboard.org for $89
- Flash Board, available for $699 from www.theflashboard.com
For more information or to download the free SDK, click here