As of 8:30 am here in chilly Massachusetts, we have the oddest tie I've ever seen going on in the caption voting: out of the 9 captions that made it to the finals, two have received 25% of the votes, two 13%, and four 6%. It's a beautiful thing but, like everything so magically aligned, it just can't last. By the end of February we need to have a clear front runner so we can, finally, award the first caption winner of 2012! Click here to go to the ballot!
Contributor-extraordinaire David Ashton offered to help pick our final January captions for voting and so forsook his chance to win this month -- in exchange, I took his suggestion of adjusting our number of finalists depending on the total number of captions submitted -- once again, check out the comments below for details.
MarkBort's caption, "While very eager to impress his staff, yet mesmerized by the product's
excellent realism, Jack cleanly sent his lucky ball into the R&D lab's new
65-inch flat screen
" didn't make it into the finals, but it did bring us an entertaining story from zeeglen: "Mark, this brings to mind an off-topic episode of a similar nature. Long ago my
TV Sales-and-Service boss was called to a customer's home to inspect a fracture
of the CRT screen of a brand new TV set. He remarked that it looked very much
like a foreign object had been propelled at the screen and thus was not covered
Later the customer interrogated his kids. They finally
admitted that yes they had been playing hockey in the living room using glass
marbles for pucks. Your caption brought that memory back.
So, please head over to our ballot, choose your favorite caption, and cast your vote
. The winner will receive a color print of the cartoon from Daniel Guidera with
the winning caption proudly in place
Here are our January finalists and another link to the ballot
You can see all the January captions here.
- The software for that tee accelerometer keeps calculating a hole-in-one. The wind simulation code must be buggy. (zeeglen)
- Dave really enjoys performing the sudden acceleration tests. (JOtt)
- "I thought we asked HR for a gofer..." (Kenlbear)
- Due to budget cuts, NASA is studying new methods for launching their satellites... (phoenixdave)
- I’m sick of this! First Dave gets a BarcaLounger, now he is playing Golf! Meanwhile, last month, they completely throw me to the sharks! I get no respect! (jkdrum)
- Uh, what part of "test drive the circuit" didn't Rob understand? (seaEE)
- Molly, I am convinced that only proper drive termination will correct his overshoot. (egagnon)
- I asked him to go to the lab and characterize the T off times.. In hindsight maybe I should have written that down... (Arjun763)
- Who let the Sales guy in??? (MVorhis)