SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- IGN, the world's leading video games media outlet, today announces the debut of GAMESHOP, a new original scripted series on its START YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/start). Billed as "Clerks-meets-Workaholics" with a twist of gaming, GAMESHOP is a single-camera comedy that follows a motley group of 20-something employees at a video game store. IGN kicks off a 12-episode run of the new series this week, with new episodes airing Wednesdays at 12 p.m. PT, exclusively on IGN's START.
Produced in partnership with leading management and production company Principato-Young Entertainment, GAMESHOP is written by Andrew Secunda (Conan) and stars Brea Grant (Dexter, Heroes), Colton Dunn (Parks and Rec, The League), Barak Hardley (Greek) and Jordan Morris (Fuel TV).
"GAMESHOP has the Hollywood talent, quirky humor and lean-back experience you want from TV but adds the always-available, sharable interface of YouTube," said Grant Thompson, Director of Content for START on YouTube. "It's the kind of series that fits both in its immediate digital medium but also has the potential of moving over to television down the road."
In the first episode, store owner Sebastian (Secunda) promotes the really-not-ready-for-it Igor (Hardley) to store manager. Meanwhile, Derrick (Dunn), Chloe (Grant), and Terry (Morris) debate the arrival of a gorgeous female nerd (supermodel Bar Paly, appearing as a guest star).
Watch the first episode of GAMESHOP:
Watch the trailer for GAMESHOP:
In addition to GAMESHOP, IGN will be launching a variety of other new shows on START before the end of the year, ranging from reality to action-thriller and more.
- GEEK LOVE – An unscripted reality series, produced by Authentic Entertainment (Ace of Cakes, Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo), Geek Love follows the weirdest, wackiest nerds out there as they try to find love at New York Comic-Con's real-life speed-dating event. Launches Thursday, December 6]
- PROJECT SERA: REGENERATION AGENDA – An original, action series from noted filmmaker Ben Howdeshell, based on his award-winning short film of the same name, Project SERA follows the exploits of gun-toting heroine, Gillian (Julia Voth – Resident Evil's Jill Valentine) as she unravels the secrets around a government conspiracy that has produced a daunting collection of undead adversaries. [Launches Tuesday, January 13]
- THE NEXT GAME BOSS: SEASON 2 – An unscripted competition series, The Next Game Boss returns for its second season in its quest to find and highlight the best indie video game developers in the country. This season, The Next Game Boss will pair developers with a working model of their game with famous game creators that will serve as their mentors. The last development team standing gets a prize package to allow them to fulfill their dream of completing their game and becoming the Next Game Boss. [Launches Wednesday, January 16 ]
These shows will join other popular START shows that launched earlier this year, including:
- CASTLEVANIA FAN SERIES – A dark, live-action thriller web series set in the universe of the iconic game series from Konami, Castlevania follows the exploits of hero, Simon Belmont, as he battles Lord Dracula and his army of darkness. Featuring Michael Dorn and Marina Sirtis from Star Trek: The Next Generation. [New Episodes Tuesdays @ 12 p.m. PT]
- ULTIMATE FAN FIGHTS – Thisaction-packed series features live-action battles between iconic characters duking it out for superhero supremacy. Each fight focuses on two combatants from different fan universes with their own highly specific fighting styles. Through special interactive episodes, fans can make their voices heard by voting for their favorite fighters. [New Episodes Tuesdays @ NOON PT]
- UP AT NOON – Hosted by IGN's Greg Miller, thisfast-paced, geek-culture talk show looks at the world of games, comics, movies and TV, and includes sketches, regular correspondents and industry guests. [New Episodes Mondays @ 12 p.m. PT]
- CHEAP COOL CRAZY– We scour the globe for the coolest gear the world has to offer, from wallet-friendly gadgets to bank-breaking technology dreams are made of. Hosted by IGN's Naomi Kyle. [New Episodes Thursdays at 12 p.m. PT]
Launched in January 2012 as one of YouTube's first official original channels, START delivers a mix of live and long-form programming for anyone who loves or plays games. START is the latest evolution in content creation and distribution from IGN Entertainment, the #1 gaming media network, reaching the highest concentration of males 18-34 online and 1 in 4 males online every month (comScore).
ABOUT IGN ENTERTAINMENT
IGN Entertainment is the leading Internet media and services provider focused on the video game and entertainment enthusiast markets. Collectively, IGN's properties reach 57 million unique users worldwide, and IGN's network of video game-related properties (IGN.com, 1UP.com, GameSpy and others) is the #1 source for video game information. IGN also owns the world's largest men's lifestyle website, AskMen.com, and men's entertainment site UGO.com. It also provides technology for online game play in video games. IGN is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, with offices across North America, Europe and Australia.
SOURCE IGN Entertainment