The PrimAccurate controller platform by iWatt, Inc., just expanded to include the iW1699 and iW1760 digital pulse width modulation (PWM) controllers. The platform allows power adaptor designers to meet stringent emerging AC/DC power adapter global energy regulations that mandate consuming less than 100mW standby power. Added benefits include a lower BOM cost and smaller overall adapter size.
The iW1699 targets applications to 12W with ultra-low standby power of < 30mW to address smart phone and media tablet needs. The iW1760 is designed for applications that require higher power—up to 40W—with < 50mW standby power, such as set top boxes, home networking devices, and household appliances.
The no-load standby power consumption of the iW1699 is 70% lower than iWatt’s earlier controller, while using smaller, 20µF/820µF input and output capacitors, versus 20µF/1,300µF for the previous version. This further reduces both the BOM size and cost and allows ultra-compact power adapters as small as 2cm x 2cm x 1.7cm. This results in 10W power adapters in a form factor associated with small 5W devices.
The products offer design flexibility by adding a user-configurable, five-level cable-drop compensation (CDC) option. The CDC option simplifies product options, ordering and inventory challenges. The configuration pin also provides both CDC configuration and supplemental over-voltage protection (OVP) control for lower BOM cost.
- iW1699: optimized for up to 12W, < 30mW standby power consumption
- iW1760: optimized for up to 40W, < 50mW standby power consumption
- Patented PrimAccurate primary-side control increases reliability, reduces solution size, lowers BOM cost
- User-configurable, five-level cable drop compensation for design flexibility
- Patent-pending quasi-resonant control optimizes efficiency at all loads
- Proprietary, optimized PWM switching frequency: iW1699 = 89kHz max; iW1760 = 79kHz max
- Patented, adaptive multi-mode PWM/PFM optimizes efficiency, EMI, and power consumption
The iW1699 and iW1760 are available now in production quantities. They are housed in a standard, low-cost, 8-lead SOIC package. Samples are available at $0.30 for both the iW1699 and the iW1760 in 1000-piece quantities.
For more information visit iWatt, Inc.
Download iW1699 Product Brief
Download iW1760 Product Brief