A solid-state drive (SSD) controller aimed at the consumer, mobile, and enterprise markets features a 6 Gb/s host interface compliant with SATA Revision 3.1. Powered by embedded processor technology, the 88SS9187 from Marvell supports up to eight NAND flash channels with interfaces up to 200 MB/s per channel. The device sports on-chip RAID technology with a customer-firmware-based algorithm to optimize retiring of defective NAND blocks, planes, dice, or devices. It also offers a high-speed DDR3 DRAM interface with support for up to 1 GB of memory, allowing customers to implement mapping algorithms.
The third-generation controller boasts the maximum sequential read performance for a SATA 6 Gb device and ~500 MB/s of sequential write performance. It supports four CEs per channel. Encoded mode allows up to 16x CEs per channel using external decoders.Other features include:
- A high-performance ECC engine with adaptive read and write scheme to enables correction capability
- Support for auxiliary data insertion, extraction, and comparison
- Metadata support with independent ECC support
- Hardware support to ease mixing between two different NAND devices
- Programmable drive strengths of I/Os for different NAND flash devices and different configurations
- Programmable timing parameters to support difference NAND flash devices
For more information, visit Marvell
Did you find this article of interest? Then visit the Memory DesignLine
, where we update daily with design, technology, product, and news articles tailored to fit your world. Too busy to go every day? Sign up for our newsletter to get the week's best items delivered to your inbox. Just click here and choose the "Manage Newsletters" tab.