Battery stack monitor advances hybrid/electric vehicle battery management systems
2/24/2011 7:20 AM EST
Linear Technology released its second generation high voltage battery monitor for hybrid/electric vehicle (HEVs), electric vehicles (EVs) and other high voltage, high performance battery systems.
The LTC6803 is a complete battery measuring IC that includes a 12-bit ADC, precision voltage reference, high voltage input multiplexer and serial interface. Each LTC6803 can measure up to 12 individual battery cells in series. The device's proprietary design enables multiple LTC6803s to be stacked in series without optocouplers or isolators, permitting precision voltage monitoring of every cell in long strings of series-connected batteries.
The LTC6803 follows the LTC6802, introduced in September 2008 with the same functionality and pinout, plus a number of significant performance enhancements. See story: Battery monitoring IC targets hybrid/electric vehicles.
- Measures up to 12 Battery Cells in Series
- Stackable Architecture Enables High Voltage Battery Monitoring
- Cell Measurement Range of -0.3V to 5V Supports Multiple Battery Chemistries & Supercapacitors
- 0.25% Maximum Total Measurement Error
- Delta-Sigma Converter With Built-In Noise Filter
- Passive Cell Balancing:
•Integrated Cell Balancing MOSFETs
•Drives External Balancing MOSFETs
- Onboard Temperature Sensor & Thermistor Inputs
- 1MHz Serial Interface with Packet Error Checking
- 12µA Standby Mode Supply Current
- Independent Power Supply Allows 1µA Battery Stack Current Draw
- Engineered for ISO 26262 Compliant Systems
- Safe with Random Connection of Cells
- Built-In Self Tests
- Open-Wire Connection Fault Detection
- High EMI Immunity
- Fully Specified for Operation from -40°C to 125°C
- 44-Lead SSOP Package
Pricing: $9.95 each in 1,000-piece quantities.
Availability: Production quantities.