Offline LED driver dims to zero-light intensity without flicker
10/11/2011 10:12 PM EDT
Maxim Integrated Products introduced the MAX16841, an offline LED driver that provides flicker-free dimming from maximum light intensity down to zero intensity with both leading-edge (triac) and trailing-edge (transistor) dimmers.
Constant frequency control optimizes efficiency at both low- and high-AC line voltages. With a wide 90VAC to 265VAC input range, the MAX16841 is a universal solution for Japanese, Chinese, U.S., and European dimmer models. It allows seamless replacement of incandescent and halogen lamps, thus eliminating compatibility issues with preinstalled dimmers. The MAX16841 prolongs the life of the LED lamps because it can operate without electrolytic capacitors. Eliminating those capacitors also saves space and cost.
This LED driver is designed for retrofit dimmable LED lamps and universal LED bulbs in industrial, commercial, and residential lighting applications. It is fully specified over the -40ºC to +125ºC temperature range.
- Smooth Dimming with Leading (Triac) and Trailing-Edge Dimmers
- Active Power Factor Correction
- Nonisolated (e.g., Buck) and Isolated (e.g, Flyback) Topologies
- Universal 90V to 264V AC Input Range
- Constant Frequency-Control Scheme Maximizes Efficiency at High and Low AC Line Voltage
- Constant Power Control, with No Need for Optical Couplers
- Very-Low Quiescent Current
- Output Open and Short Protection
- Thermal Shutdown
- Available in an 8-Pin SO Package
Pricing: Starts at $1.35 (1000-up, FOB USA)
Datasheet: Click here.