Embedded MPU integrates 2x ARM Cortex A9 cores
5/5/2011 9:53 AM EDT
STMicroelectronics introduced its new embedded microprocessor with advanced multimedia capabilities.
The latest addition to ST's dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 microprocessor family, the SPEAr1340 targets a broad range of smart connected devices, from high-resolution video-conferencing to intelligent displays and web-connected devices.
ST's SPEAr1340 integrates a powerful ARM Mali 200 graphics processing unit for advanced 2D and 3D acceleration in user interfaces, navigation systems, browsing, and gaming. The new device also embeds a hardware video encoder and a decoder supporting major compression standards (including H.264, AVS and VP8), with video resolution up to 1080p and 30 frames per second. The SPEAr1340 can also handle multiple concurrent video flows (4 camera inputs available) in multimedia-intensive applications like surveillance video cameras.
Other features of the SPEAr1340 include:
- 1x Giga/Fast Ethernet ports (for external GMII/RGMII/MII PHY)
- 1x PCIe/SATA Gen2 links (with embedded PHY)
- 2x USB 2.0 host ports with integrated PHYs
- 1x USB2.0 OTG port with integrated PHY
- I2S, UARTs, SPI, I2C ports
- HD Display controller with Touch screen and Overlay windows capabilities
- Memory Card controller supporting multiple standards
- 6x6 keyboard controller
- 4x Camera inputs
- 4 -bit Parallel-port Video Input
- 2x Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) ports
- Secure Boot and Key Storage capabilities
- Power-saving features
Samples of the SPEAr1340 are now available only to lead customers for evaluation and prototyping. Software support is provided through the STLinux distribution and further distributions and support environments will be added in the future.
Datasheet: Click here.