Unregulated Capitalism is in it's doom loop. There will be another. How is it that Places like Switzerland, Australia and Norway do better ? Over here the top 1% call all the shots for themselves. For solutions look at what other countries do. Better regulation and social programs. Corporate profits are UP UP UP but the distribution is more unequal. It's simple.
Need 70 registered voters in CA to run against Senator Boxer. Will not win but I can drive home the H!B visa. Last I looked the number of Engineering jobs created is equal to the number of H1b visa issued each year. The industry is saying that is not enough. Issue:
1. Eliminate H1bs
2. Close borders, speak English, tax illegals at hiring tax rate for past services used, and naturalize all including existing H1b's.
3. Make social engineering dirty tricks illegal which prey on startups and individuals in at least Los Angeles.
4. Southern CA 51st state
5. Fire/outsource all government employee which are responsible for keeping CA if not the country in the recession. I have a lot of friend just disapppearing.
6. National health insurance but not the Obama type (private corps). Companies are for making money not being your mommy.
7. Open all government building at night to the homeless.
8. All prisoner work in the forests on fireroads, trails, and roads. The old chain gangs.
9. Move DC to Los Angeles with all government business telecommuted
10. Move UN to Jerusalem per the 1948 Israel/Palestine/UN controlled Jerusalem state creation vote.
11. World Oil pipeline with the Russia/Alaska oil pipeline/bridge from funds saved outsourcing government employees and their pensions.
12. Bring down the space-station being retrofitted with lasers to neutralize world defenses that is why the defense jobs and most engineering went to India and the EU.
Basically replace this US/UN government that has wasted the US/world economy with now threatens the lives of some Americans based on color/politics/religion.
I agree. Most employers do not think outside of the box at the hour of hiring someone. They want the best fit for the requirements. I have two masters degrees, PE in two large states and practiced engineering in three different fields. I cannot get an interview because I do not have the "right" experience that they want. If the employers had some imagination they would say, geesh this guy has two master degrees, i know he could perform at a high level a learn as necessary. But oh no, the HR person thinks i am overqualified or without the experience for the position and i am not called for an interview. I do know what else to do. I network, send cover letters and resumes tailored for the positions. i apply for entry level positions, managerial positions, positions in other fields and nothing. This sucks!
Unfortunately, I don't see the prospects improving anytime in the near future. All we can do now is brush up on our networking skills and resume submissions. The Relationship Capital Co is giving away free job search training at:
SquamLake, you hit it right on target. Companies have been outsourcing for many many decades now. We've often wondered when enough is enough. We'll, we're feeling it now. The middle class is shrinking because their jobs went overseas. We, the citizens, allowed this to happened because we didn't think it will affect us and we like to see goods getting cheaper every year. Current politics, including Election debates and the media are avoiding this topic. This is a taboo topic for anyone because the solution is not quick, it's a long term solution. What can we do? Stop buying items you don't really need. Pay off your debts and stay debt free for the rest of your life. Lobby your politicians to place tariffs on incoming goods, just like the rest of the world does on US products being sold in their country. Americans are getting screwed from both sides. There are many things we as americans can do but the solutions will take 50 years to effect the results. US engineering jobs will slowly disappear just like the telephone switchboard operators of the past. If you're not convince, just follow the money trail. I work for a global company and interface with people from all the countries mentioned. I was even a part of sending the work off shore. Of those americans that are still working, a percentage of their work relates to sending the work off shore. Don't put the blame on people from the offshore countries. You're misguided if you do. They are being exploited by their employers. Unemployment is a harsh aspect of our capitalist society that is very hard to solve. Socialism, as in Europe, is not the solution either. Europe is also dealing with this because they took the same outsourcing road that the US did. Unfortunately, their system might collapse sooner than the US. Our system will not collapse but our standard of living will just revert back to the living standard of our grandparents. live modestly. live practical. live simple.