1) IT WORKS! -- Unfortunately not a given - i.e. it does not crash, runs apps reliably, picks up signals, oes not break easily, etc.
2) Form Factor -- Size, display quality within size, etc.
3) Battery Life -- Goes to 1. If the battery is dead, it does not work.
In order of priority:
1) Size, meaning not too big, not too small. Must fit in front pants pocket.
2) Battery life
3) Performance -- fast processor and fast enough internet connection.
4) Weight...because it travels in your front pants pocket.
5) Ruggedness. Gorilla glass and a neoprene skin usually takes care of this.
6) Interoperability with other devices in my CE ecosystem -- share or display media between phone, tablet, TV and desktop PC.
7) Thinness. Sure, why not? This usually goes along with light weight anyway.
NASA's Orion Flight Software Production Systems Manager Darrel G. Raines joins Planet Analog Editor Steve Taranovich and Embedded.com Editor Max Maxfield to talk about embedded flight software used on the Mars on EE Times Radio. Live radio show and live chat. Get your questions ready.