1) IT WORKS! -- Unfortunately not a given - i.e. it does not crash, runs apps reliably, picks up signals, oes not break easily, etc.
2) Form Factor -- Size, display quality within size, etc.
3) Battery Life -- Goes to 1. If the battery is dead, it does not work.
In order of priority:
1) Size, meaning not too big, not too small. Must fit in front pants pocket.
2) Battery life
3) Performance -- fast processor and fast enough internet connection.
4) Weight...because it travels in your front pants pocket.
5) Ruggedness. Gorilla glass and a neoprene skin usually takes care of this.
6) Interoperability with other devices in my CE ecosystem -- share or display media between phone, tablet, TV and desktop PC.
7) Thinness. Sure, why not? This usually goes along with light weight anyway.
As we unveil EE Times’ 2015 Silicon 60 list, journalist & Silicon 60 researcher Peter Clarke hosts a conversation on startups in the electronics industry. Panelists Dan Armbrust (investment firm Silicon Catalyst), Andrew Kau (venture capital firm Walden International), and Stan Boland (successful serial entrepreneur, former CEO of Neul, Icera) join in the live debate.