"The first advantage of such an alliance, of course, would be patents. And lots of them. If Samsung really wanted to pull its punches in its frequent spats with Apple, AMD would offer the firm a."
" to pull its punches " generally means to hit less hard than is possible. Not sure how this would assist Samsung against Apple. Which is, I suppose, a " certain je ne sais quoi"!
I am interested in NVIDIA / INTEL:
How about NVIDIA buy AMD CPU department or INTEL buy AMD graphic department? It will be more interesting if both :)
Will that have any anti trust issue? probably not and it save the world!
Buying AMD is all about getting into x86 server space, few points:
- AMD will survive, Intel will have to keep them alive to stay alive. otherwise they will be single source supplier, in X86 offering. otherwise this will open up spot for ARM to get into this $50B server mkt.
- Qualcomm probably has deep pocket ($6~$8B) to get into server market, as Mobile is getting vertically integrated, they need new markets to grow, also they will be able to get/buy a fab process access.
- Intel buy will not work Antitrust etc..!
- Samsung has not anything over a Billion and 11K people with different mindset. They are all about cost optimization.
- BRCM has chance, but buried with ingesting Netlogic currently. may be 2 ~3 years out.
- Others do not make sense.
AMD needs deep pocket, Performance and Advance processes to take on Intel.
Samsung?? To think about it, They already manufacture DRAM. The DIMMs and the CPU are the two largest cost components of a server. I can easily imagine a Samsung Server with its own CPUs, Memories, they could easily pick up a NIC company and they already know how to bend sheet metal. The only reason Samsung may hesitate is because AMD's CPUs suck compared to the Sandy/Ivy bridges right now.
The Other Tesla David Blaza5 comments I find myself going to Kickstarter and Indiegogo on a regular basis these days because they have become real innovation marketplaces. As far as I'm concerned, this is where a lot of cool ...