"As technology devices become more complex and connected, pre-and post-sales support becomes more important in keeping returns low and consumer satisfaction for brands and retailers high." - Totally agree!!! This is the added value of retailers and people working in this service industry should be well trained and the I believe people will keep on shopping there if they get satisfactory service!
The phones are with many features nowadays.While shopping it is not possible to check their full functionality. Even though the manufacturers check them before dispatch any thing can happen for a few during transit and change of hands. There fore end sale points also can have computer system and software to check every models unique features for its correct functionality to solve this return problem and then handover it to the customer.
As a former Best Buy/Geek Squad employee, all of this is very true. Most products don't come with any instructions. Most offer minimal support online, assuming you can get online. And most people don't know what they want or need.
So consumers buy things that they are told they should have (by media, friends, or sales people) and are given little help in understanding how to use the device. So retailers often provide support in training and setting up devices, often at the cost of their time or at the expense of the customer. The manufacturer of the device no longer has any responsibility to properly support the consumer.
You want to make a great device that doesn't get returned as "defective", follow these steps:
1) Make a device that works right and simply the first time
2) Clearly identify through marketing what your device does (and does not do), and how it can be used in the life of your consumer
3) Make it easy to train new users (and please let experienced users skip the training), on device if possible
4) Make sure that when someone buys your device they have everything they need to use your device, or are clearly alerted that they will need to purchase something else to make your device work
5) Provide continued, easy to access, support and enrichment to your consumers so that they can get help when something does go wrong and so they can continue to find more ways your device can be useful to them as their experience using the device grows