Breaking News
Comments
Newest First | Oldest First | Threaded View
old account Frank Eory
User Rank
Rookie
re: Could RIM really mount a comeback?
old account Frank Eory   2/5/2013 8:53:33 PM
NO RATINGS
For every Blackberry owner I ever knew, "email" was precisely the reason they loved it so much. But for ordinary web browsing, it was pretty lame. And as eewiz points out below, even RIM's traditional preference as the corporate phone is becoming less relevant as more and more companies adopt BYOD policies.

eewiz
User Rank
CEO
re: Could RIM really mount a comeback?
eewiz   2/5/2013 9:37:46 AM
NO RATINGS
Apple is grabbing those enterprise slots pretty fast. In addition many enterprise adopted BYOD(bring your own device) policy at work. So to say "Blackberry is still, and will always be" is very optimistic.

Dale Shpak
User Rank
Rookie
re: Could RIM really mount a comeback?
Dale Shpak   2/2/2013 12:46:55 AM
NO RATINGS
The Blackberry OS wasn't written from scratch by RIM. RIM bought QNX Software Systems because QNX Neutrino is a mature, elegant, and efficient RTOS. I have taught a college RTOS course using QNX for about 10 years. iOS pales by comparison.

dutchmam
User Rank
Rookie
re: Could RIM really mount a comeback?
dutchmam   2/1/2013 10:07:30 PM
NO RATINGS
Who "They?"

dutchmam
User Rank
Rookie
re: Could RIM really mount a comeback?
dutchmam   2/1/2013 10:05:45 PM
NO RATINGS
Blackberry is still, and will always be the go-to brand for corporations (like aerospace) where security is essential.

grnewell
User Rank
Rookie
re: Could RIM really mount a comeback?
grnewell   1/31/2013 9:07:26 PM
NO RATINGS
"By 2016, the firm expects that smartphones will account for nearly 75 percent of all smartphones shipped." I should hope so. I wonder what is shipped for the other 25% of smartphones shipped?

Cookie Jar
User Rank
Rookie
re: Could RIM really mount a comeback?
Cookie Jar   1/31/2013 4:46:07 PM
NO RATINGS
A relevant piece of trivia: RIM has changed its name to Blackberry. Yesterday's news (Jan 30/13).

mcgrathdylan
User Rank
Blogger
re: Could RIM really mount a comeback?
mcgrathdylan   1/30/2013 6:42:18 PM
NO RATINGS
Right you are. Thanks for pointing out the mistake, which was now been corrected.

de_la_rosa
User Rank
Rookie
re: Could RIM really mount a comeback?
de_la_rosa   1/30/2013 5:05:31 PM
NO RATINGS
Blackberry phones just seemed to become 'cool' for a period. I don't think 'email' was ever the reason. I remember almost every American TV sitcom and movie would mention the name "Blackberry" instead of "cell phone" in their shows. I'm not sure if that was through paid advertisement or just writers jumping on the bandwagon. But 'cool' doesn't last long for a product. Remember the Tamagotchi? Boom and bust within a year. Apple rule the planet. And there is nothing we can do about it.

tangey
User Rank
Rookie
re: Could RIM really mount a comeback?
tangey   1/30/2013 11:36:45 AM
NO RATINGS
"Apple shiped 48 million iPhones in 2012" Hmmmm. They shipped 48M iphones in the last quarter of 2012.



Flash Poll
EE Life
Frankenstein's Fix, Teardowns, Sideshows, Design Contests, Reader Content & More
Max Maxfield

MSGEQ7-Based DIY Audio Spectrum Analyzer: Testing
Max Maxfield
13 comments
In my previous column on this topic, we discussed the step-by-step construction of the first pass at a MSGEQ7-based DIY audio spectrum analyzer for use in my BADASS Display project. Of ...

Karen Field

June 2014 Cartoon Caption Winner
Karen Field
13 comments
Congratulations to "Wnderer" for submitting the winning caption for our June cartoon, after much heated conversation by our judges, given the plethora of great entries.

Jeremy Cook

Inspection Rejection: Why More Is Less in a Vision System
Jeremy Cook
3 comments
Albert Einstein has been quoted as saying, "Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." I would never claim to have his level of insight -- or such an awesome head of ...

Jeremy Cook

Machine Fixes That Made Me Go 'DUH!'
Jeremy Cook
21 comments
As you can see in my bio at the end of this article, I work as a manufacturing engineer. One of my favorite things that happens on a Friday late in the afternoon is to hear my phone ring ...

Top Comments of the Week
Like Us on Facebook
EE Times on Twitter
EE Times Twitter Feed

Datasheets.com Parts Search

185 million searchable parts
(please enter a part number or hit search to begin)